Palazzo Pizzo is an over 200 year old palazzo which we entirely renovated (2006-2011). It became our Italian home away from home. It is located on a cliff high above the sea in the oldest quarter of Pizzo's centro storico, one of the prettiest towns in Calabria. The breathtaking 180 degree sea and sunset views from the balcony and rooftop terrace are the highlights of the palazzo. If you are interested in renting please contact us directly.
< click on image above to enlarge >
The house stretches over 3 floors and over 300 sqm (about 4,000 sq ft.). On the ground floor you find a large and luminous living and dining space with an open kitchen and high ceilings. The kitchen wall is tiled with colourful mediterranean ceramic tiles from Vietri. Two doors lead to the balcony where you can enjoy early morning sun and afternoon sun and sunsets throning about 50 meters above the sea with 180 degree views over the bay of St. Eufemia. The dining table indoor sits 8-10 people while the table on the balcony suits 6 people. The kitchen islands sits 3 people. There are two large sofas and 2 chairs in the living area. A large bathroom on the ground floor features a toilet, bidet, large sink, shower and washing machine. Upstairs you will find 3 bedrooms each with its own bathroom and its own small balcony. One bedroom, suitable for children, has a bunk bed and a sofa bed. The others each have one 180 x 200 cm king size bed.
In case you need more space for more guest: The Palazzo has a private Residence that is located in the vaulted stone cellar below the house with a separate entrance and a private garden terrace. It could sleep 2 - 4 extra persons (1 queen size bed, 1 sofa bed, both in an open living area), see details here: Palazzo Pizzo Residence.
Please contact us well in advance in case you want to book both, the house and the guest residence. Else we have another house just 5 minutes walk away from the palazzo that sleeps 2-3 guests in the Studio and 4 - 6 people in the Dependance.
Please note, both the Residence and main house are not suitable for small children and people with limited mobility due to its many stairs and location on the edge of a cliff!
Pizzo is located between Amalfi (3 - 4 h drive) and Sicily (2 - 3 h drive). On clear days you can spot the active volcanic island Stromboli (Sicily) from the terraces, which makes the sunsets even more spectacular. From this quiet residential area it is just a 2-3 minutes walk through narrow alleys to the lively Piazza della Repubblica with a good choice of restaurants, bars, shops and fresh produces vendors (vegetables, fruits, fish, cheese, etc). Everything you might need during your stay is within walking distance. The beach below the castello is a 10-15 minutes walk from the house across the piazza and downhill. The international airport Lamezia (SUF) is only 25km away. You can reach the Palazzo by car in about 30 min from the airport via autostrada A3.
You actually don't need a car while in Pizzo. From May to October there are usually "Ape"-taxis connecting the different areas of Pizzo - which are La Marinella, Piedigrotta, Centro Storico and La Marina (below the castello). However, if you stay more than a week and want to explore Calabria we recommend to rent a car. The nearest car rental agents are at Lamezia airport and Tropea. Scooters can be organised to be dropped and picked up in Pizzo (from Parghelia/Tropea). If you arrive by car please contact us in advance, our parking space is limited.
From Pizzo you can explore and discover the beautiful Costa degli Dei, the "Coast of the Gods" which stretches from Pizzo to Nicotera about 70 km long with its crystal clear, turquoise sea and many different beaches. Calabria has a rich history to discover scattered over gentle Calabrian highlands with thousands of olive trees and forests. See our section about Calabria.
If you need a pick-up service from the airport or train station please let us know.
- Guests - 6 - 8
- Floor plan - about 300 sqm / 4,000 sq ft on 3 floors
- Renovation - 2006-2011
- Bed Rooms - 3
- Bathrooms - 5 (thereof 2 large, 2 medium and 1 small)
- Roof top Terrace - app. 50 sqm
- Balcony - app. 25 sqm.
- Kitchen - gas stove, oven, fridge, dishwasher, microwave, toaster
- Type of Beds - 2 king size bed (180 x 200cm), 1 bunk bed (80/120 x 200cm), 1 sofa bed (160 x 200cm);
- Air Condition in all 3 bedrooms
- Central Heating
- Hair Dryer
- Bed Linens
- Towels (large, medium, small + beach)
- Umbrella (for beach or roof terrace)
- Basic Amenities: shampoo, soap, toilet paper;
- Washing machine
- Dish Washer
- AC / Heating
- Parking (depending on availability)
- Fishing / Sport Fishing by boat
- Vicoli di Pizzo (walking the alleys)
- 10 Churches (including San Giorgio Dome and Piedigrotta)
- Castello Aragonese Murat
- Visiting artists' studios in Pizzo
- Archaeological Museum in the Castle of Vibo Valentia
- Discover Capo Vaticano
- Walk, shop and dine in Tropea
- Hike and swim at Paradiso del Sub
- Bath and lunch in Scilla
- Eolian Islands (day trip by boat)
- Stromboli by Night (by boat)
- Reggio Calabria & Museo Nazionale della Magna Grecia (day trip by train)
- Serra San Bruno (monastery and forest)
- Badolato (medieval village and lunch)
- Wine tasting in Ciro
- Read more about Pizzo and Calabria
- Airport Lamezia 25 km (30 min drive)
- Catania Airport (Sicily) app 3 h drive
- Naples Airport / Amalfi app 4 h drive
- Train Station 'Pizzo' 1 km
- Station 'Vibo Valentia - Pizzo' 3 km
- A3 Salerno-Reggio 5 km
- Nearest Beach 350 m, 10-15 min walk
- Nearest Church Carmine 2 m
- Restaurants & Bars 50 - 300 m
- Grocery & Alimentari 200 m
- Pharmacy 150 m
- Supermarket (Sidis) 2 km
- Hospital Vibo Valentia - 10 km
- Tropea 35 km by car or train
- Capo Vaticano - 50 min drive
- Scilla - 1 1/2h drive or by train
- Reggio Calabria - 1 1/2h by car or train
- Stromboli - full day trip by boat
No pets, no smoking indoor, no small children (below age of 6); check-in 3-8pm, check-out 10am; minimum stay 1 week;
Read more ...
Want to know what other guests think about their stay with us? Please have a look at our
Want to know more about Pizzo? What to do and where to eat? Check out our Pizzo guide on this website. We will also send our guests an updated guidebook in PDF file via email as well as provide a copy at the residence.
Want to go to a different beach every day? In our "Pizzo guide" there are listed some of the best beaches within 5-30 min drive. The closest beach is a 10-15 minutes walk from the residence, below the castello at La Marina.
Want to know what to pack? A light jacket or pashmina can serve well in a breezy summer night. Check the weather forecast for Pizzo:
Do you still have a question? Please contact us, we are looking forward hearing from you.